Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Two-fer Tuesday: Metalocalypse & Zimmer's Hole


by Mark Hanner







Ok.



Are you serious?



Why am I now just watching this?



This is the funniest thing I have seen about metal since Ziltoid the Omniscient. (Which I realize is not that long ago, but give me some slack, slacker)



There are so many perfect things about this show that I can hardly give it justice by describing it. If you like metal and enjoy the delicious ridiculousness of it, you have to watch this show. Plus the music is FANTASTIC.



I had read about it, but always forgot to watch it. I don't have tivo or a vcr, so I wasn't ever able to catch it. I finally rented it from Netflix. (god bless you brothers) Within the first episode, I knew I was going to buy it so I could watch it every freaking day. Nathan Explosion is an idol worthy of everything his fans do to themselves. When he had to listen to the menu for the brutal phone they drunkenly endorsed and referred to the menu as brutal.

was.

perfect.



My first real knowledge of Nathan was his cameo on Zimmer's Hole, While you were shouting at the devil album. Which, while I'm here, I might as well give my review.



This album is everything that I love about metal right now. It's fast, TIGHT, intelligent, and funny. Now there is nothing I hate more than fucking cheeky people who try to make music funny. (Weird Al notwithstanding, he rules) I have stopped listening to SEVERAL bands because they tried to get too tongue in cheek and tried to be funny and all that sucks. These guys have it right. Actually, I think Devin Townsend is so brilliant that his sense of humor is perfect for me. He understands the ridiculousness of some of these metal bands, and it looks like his off shoot of production also shares his humor. Now, at first, I was confused as to who actually sang on this record. I honestly thought it was Dev, but I was set straight by the AMAZING drummer Gene Hoglan who told me it was The Heathen., and that The Heathen actually is a big influence on Dev. Perfect. Thanks, Gene. I can't wait to see you live.

This album also represents something that I love about my boy Queensryche Myche. I was on a plane flying to Arizona to meet my boyfriend's family, and I had my new issue of Revolver with me. I saw the review, and made a mental note to make sure we get ON THIS ONE. When I got back, Myche and I went to see Bob Mould at Metro. (overall, a disappointing show in my book, but I won't be happy unless he does the entire Black Sheets of Rain album. Which he never does, by the way...) At Myche's house, I said, "dude, there's a Devin produced album that we have to get on". He looks at me, smiles, and says, "I just got it, but haven't listened to it".

THAT'S
MY
BOY!!!!

I then had it in my possession a few seconds later. (thanks, computer) After the show I went home and fired up the old Super Nintendo system that I borrowed and proceeded directly to Donkey Kong Country. I listened to that album , at least, 5 times that night. It is so tight. The thing I love about it is that it's such a statement on what these guys think about metal, and how ridiculous it can get, but the RIFFS ARE THERE! They make metal, so they are the perfect ones to make light of it. I love the heightened nature of "Anonymous Esophagus" It's disgusting and perfect at the same time. They are touring later in the spring at the Pearl Room, and you can bet your metal ass I'm going to be there. If for anything else, but to witness Gene Hoglan live. I've never been able to see Strapping Young Lad live, so I am thrilled to see him do his THING.

So basically, if you like your metal fast, furious, and pissed off at stupid shit, this is the album for you. Keep it up, boys!!!

No comments: